Home About Me Tour Project Gallery As Seen On Advertise Shop

Monday, September 6, 2010

Pineapple Upside Down Cake {Best of the 1920's}


Welcome to the first day of my 1920's Throwback Week- a whole week devoted to the timeless styles and designs of the Roaring Twenties! I am so excited to focus on this exciting and transistional era! The art, fashion, and design that came out of the twenties continues to have a strong influence on today's trends. You might be surprised how much of the 1920's can be found throughout our favorite home decor stores and our fashion glossies. From beadboard, built-ins, and millwork to classics like PB&J, Cloche hats, and embellished headbands...I have so much fun stuff planned for this week! I hope you all enjoy it as much I will!

This Saturday was my wonderful hubby's birthday! I asked him what kind of cake or dessert he would like me to make for his birthday and just my luck, he requested a Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Did you know that Pineapple Upside Down Cake originated in the Twenties? Apparently, it became wildly popular after the Dole Pineapple Company beganing tin canning the tropical golden sweet rings. How exotic! :)

I had never made a pineapple cake before so I turned to my trusty friend... Epicurious. This recipe was printed in Gourmet Magazine in February of 2000. I like that it calls for simple ingredients and because the cake was baked in a cast iron skillet it didnt make a big mess of the kitchen.

First thing I did was prepare the batter...
Next up, melting the butter and sugars for the fruit topping...
After the sugar was caramelized, I added the pineapple rings and marschino cherries...
Once the fruit is in place, its time to pour the batter right on top...
Pop it in the oven and 45 minutes later...
After I let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes, I tranferred it to my cake plate...
MMMmmmmm! So yummy! This cake is so moist, has such great flavor, and just screams of Fall spices! If you are craving some Fall flavor, I highly recommend this recipe. Easy and delicious!

I am linking up to these AWESOME parties! And, my cake was FEATURED on Under the Table and Dreaming...isnt that swell? ;)
UndertheTableandDreaming 

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails