Home About Me Tour Project Gallery As Seen On Advertise Shop

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Monogramming a Bedroom Mirror

I am currently working on my new master bedroom. While I was unpacking, I decided I needed something to really set off my bed and give the room a real "wow" factor. Armed with etching cream and my trusty sidekick, Silhouette, I began my project of monogramming a mirror to hang above my bed. Read on to follow me step-by-step and learn how to make your own!

One of the first rooms I work on when we move is the bedroom. Now more than ever, I need a place to retreat to while the rest of the house is in transistion and crammed full of boxes. When you move it gives you the opportunity to see everything you own and sometimes discover a new place for things. That's exactly what happened when I unwrapped this mirror. Previously it hung in my walk-in closet above my dresser. My new closet doesnt really have a place for it but I thought it might look nice in my bedroom. I hung it above our bed but it just seemed to need something extra. That's when I realized it would be the perfect project to try out glass etching with my Silhouette.


First, I created a font template to create my monogram in my Silhouette Studio software. I chose Garamond all-caps. The middle letter 'D' is the first initial of our last name and I set it at 932 point font. For the smaller flanking letters, 'Z' and 'E' (initials of my husband and I's first names), I set the font at 648.8 point.


Then, I used my Silhouette to cut the templates out of vinyl.  I peeled off the vinyl's backing and adhered my template to the mirror.


Next up, I applied a thick coating of etching cream to the template. You want to make sure to give it a thick, even coat. The directions say to leave it on for 5 minutes, but in typical fashion I got distracted and didnt wash it off until about 25 minutes later. I actually think the extra time was better for it anyway.


Once the middle initial was washed off, I removed the template so I could add my side letters...


Another 20 minutes later...


Ohhhhh, I loooooove it! So classic, simple, timeless, romantic, and chic! I swear that part of my room looks like it popped right out of a Pottery Barn catalog!


Wasn't that easy? You could even use the "frosted glass" spray paint if you taped really well. I chose to actually etch the glass because of how much moving we do, I didnt want the letters to possibly get scratched.

So what do you think? Do you love it?? I hope you enjoyed it and the little sneak peek at the bedroom. I am working away at a couple more details so I can share the whole room reveal soon! The living room reveal has gotten pushed back due to some President's Day sale furniture purchases! YAY! So fun!

I am linking to some of these awesome link parties!

This has been featured here:
The Girl Creative

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails