Home About Me Tour Project Gallery As Seen On Advertise Shop

Monday, September 13, 2010

DIY $2 Ruffled Baby Legs


Is there anything cuter than chubby baby legs? Well, maybe if the baby is wearing these ruffled leg warmers! Baby Legs charges $12 for a pair (and they aren't even ruffled!), but thanks to our good friends at Target, we can make these adorable warmers for $2 a pair! Read on, to see my step-by-step picture tutorial...


I have been making these ruffled leg warmers for a few years now. Last year, I gave them to my nieces in Minneapolis for Christmas. I made their warmers a little more whimsical by adding three layers of ruffles with satin, sequins, and tulle.

The first step is to pick out a pair of adult knee high socks. These are available in any clothing store and online but my favorite place to find them is Target. They have a huge selection and they are only $2 a pair.


Next, cut off the feet of the socks. If you are like me and hate to waste anything, you can give the feet a quick finishing stitch and have some stylin' adult ankle socks.


If you want to make these for a boy, you can fold up the cut edge and give it a simple hem. If you want to add a little more piazz, I'd embellish them with some rough and rugged embroidery floss stitches.

If you want to make them with ruffles for a girl, you will need either a coordinating satin ribbon or a strips of coordinating fabric. For these examples, I used strip of fabric. I folded over the fabric on itself and then I added an embroidery stitch available on my sewing machine.


After I have sewn the edge (to give the ruffle a nice finished edge), I then sew it right onto the cut edges of the socks. Stretch the edge of the sock while holding onto the strip of fabric as you sew. This stretching is what causes the fabric to ruffle.


And ta-da...you are done! Sooooooo easy, cheap, and ADORABLE!!!


Wouldnt this be so cute done in black, green, and purple colors for a baby witch costume? A play off the Wicked Witch of the West's stylin' socks!

The best thing about these warmers? Once the baby outgrows them on their legs, they can be used as arm warmers- extending tees into the Fall months! Brilliant!

I am linking up to these AWESOME link parties!

UPDATED 9/22: This was just featured on Under The Table And Dreaming! Thanks Stephanie!!! :)
UndertheTableandDreaming 

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails