Home About Me Tour Project Gallery As Seen On Advertise Shop

Thursday, September 23, 2010

DIY Halloween Banner



A couple weeks ago, I ran across some black glittered felt. When I saw it I instantly thought how cute it would be to use in a Halloween banner for my fireplace. I had visions of black glittery bats, owls, spiders, and letters spelling out "boo". Because of my No-Halloween-Decorations-Before-October rule, I wont be putting this banner up for another week, but I had to get started on making it if I wanted to use it this year. As I played around, my vision morphed into the bats, candy corns, and words you see now. I just love how it turned out! It is seriously so easy and cost a whooping $2 to make! I even included a printable template for you so the hardest part is done! Read on to get the tutorial...

First thing I did was pick out a font for my wording and draw shapes for my bat and candy corn. I created the printable template below for you.



I cut out my lettering and shapes from my printer paper, outlined the images with a sharpie onto my felt pieces, and then I cut out the images from the felt.

*Note: If you outline the images face down onto the back side of the felt, you wont have to worry about mirroring images.
After my pieces were all cut out, I glued the candy corns together using my hot glue gun, and then sewed all the pieces together using an orange embroidery floss. I like the look the floss gave to the banner, but you could just hot glue it all together if you wish.

Because I decided to use a word longer than 3 letters (spooky vs. boo) I had to make the lettering a little sturdier by reinforcing it with a cardboard backing. I just traced the letters, cut it out of an old file folder, and hot glued it to the back of my felt letters. Shorter words don't necessarily need reinforcement.

My original plan was to use all black glitter felt and cut-outs of bats, owls, and spiders with the word "boo" but after seeing these candy corn buntings around the web, I decided to go a different direction and added the corns.






I like how adding the corns makes it a little more colorful and probably a little less ominous. Since I have a toddler, I thought this version more appropriate as the all-black version is a little more designer decor.

I am linking to these AWESOME sites!

Update on October 1st: My banner was featured on Under The Table And Dreaming & Tatertots and Jello!
 Visit tatertotsandjello.comUndertheTableandDreaming

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails